Overseas Patients

Eligibility to receive NHS medical treatment is dependent upon whether a person is ordinarily resident in the UK.  It is not related to nationality or payment of tax or national insurance.  People who are in the UK for less than six months are not ordinarily resident here.

People who ARE entitled to receive NHS medical treatment are:

  • Anyone resident in the UK for six months or more.
  • Anyone intending to stay in the UK for six months or more.
  • Any EEA nationals (see appendix 1) who have an E128 form.  E128 forms are issued to people who have come to the UK to work or study, and any of their family members who accompany them.
  • Patients from EEA member countries who have an E112 form are eligible for free medical treatment of the specified condition on the form only.
  • EEA nationals that have European Health Insurance Card and need necessary treatment that the state of their health requires during their stay.  This includes on-going medical care for pre-existing conditions i.e. medication, blood tests and injections.
  • Refugees
  • Asylum seekers

People who are NOT entitled to receive NHS medical treatment are:

Anyone who does not fit it to the above groups will need to be seen as a private patient and pay for their treatment.

  • Patients from a country with a bilateral healthcare agreement are not entitled to NHS treatment under the practice’s policy.
  • Non EEA nationals unless they need EMERGENCY treatment only.  Interpretation of emergency is down to the GP’s discretion.
  • EEA nationals that require treatment for non pre-existing conditions.
  • People who are working for a UK company but living abroad are not entitled to receive NHS medical treatment even if they can prove their wages are being paid by a UK company and they are therefore paying tax and national insurance on them.
  • EEA nationals without a European Health Insurance Card.

All overseas visitors must show reception their passport as proof of identity.  Patients will not be seen without a passport unless in an emergency

Fees for the consultation will be confirmed when you book your appointment and need to be paid on arrival.  A receipt will be given to you as you may be able to claim the cost back on your travel insurance.

European Economic Area (EEA) Member Countries

Countries with a Bilateral Healthcare Agreement with the UK